Jan 18, 2013

10 Minute Little Guy Bow Tie

 I am updating and reposting this tutorial since I have a handsome little model to show off my creation now.
When I had girls I always said that they seemed so much cuter/funner to dress than boys.  But now that I have a handsome little boy of my own I am finding that dressing a boy is just as fun as dressing a girl.
  There aren't a lot of cute accessory options for little boys however but there are a few and the bow tie is one of my favorites.  I found a few tutorials to try before this but the bow ties ended up being too big and almost clown like when finished.  I wanted something that was tiny tot size with the right proportions.  This bow tie is super simple, just watch.
Materials:
Fabric scraps
Velcro
Needle and thread
Sewing machine
Step 1: Cut out two pieces of fabric 1 that is 8 1/4x4" and 1 that is 5 1/4x2" (or 2 1/4") (this is to make a bow tie for a baby-like 3-9 months so if you want a bigger one you can adjust the size accordingly).
Step 2: Fold each piece in half (right sides together and sew lengthwise.  On the larger piece you will also sew one end closed. (NOTE: after making 9 of these I realized that you don't have to sew the end closed if you don't want).
Step 3: Turn right side out and iron flat.  I press mine so that the seam of the smaller piece is in the middle (if you don't sew the end closed on the long piece you can press the seam in the middle on it too).
Step 4: Bring the ends of the long piece in to the middle overlapping slightly and sew with your sewing machine.
Step 5: On the smaller piece, on the right side,  place a piece of Velcro (I use the fuzzy side) 2" down from one end.  Pin in place.  Sew around the Velcro catching all the sides that are touching the fabric (so it will be like a little rectangle of stitching).
Step 6: Now fold the shorter end  (the 2" side) over the Velcro like shown and stitch with your machine.
Step 7: Trim off the excess fabric.
Step 8: Turn right side out.
Step 9: Slip over the bow piece and center (Velcro side to the back obviously).
Step 10: Do a quick hand stitch to attach the overhang of the Velcro to the back side only of the bow tie (be careful your stitches don't show through).
It should look like this when you are done:
 And like this from the front.
 Step 11: Now attach the other piece of Velcro (the rougher side) to the onesie or shirt you are using.  Then you just have to attach the bow.  It wouldn't hold up for a bigger baby or toddler that could pull it right off-in that case I would suggest a snap or something.  But for a little baby who can't quite figure out how to get it off or doesn't have the strength-this will do just fine.

 And there you have it: dressed to impress.


 And since they are so easy you can whip up a few more and give them all with one onesie as a gift.

Pin It!
Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...