Feb 26, 2009

Place Mat Purse


I honestly can't remember where I first saw this idea. I think there are a lot of blogs/websites that have featured place mat purses. I thought if I found a cute enough place mat then I would try this. Well I did find a cute place mat. I found it at K-Mart for $3.99. Now that is a steal for a purse. Here is a tutorial to make one of these quick and easy purses. I love this idea.
Step 1: Start with a standard size place mat. You want one that is not too flimsy but not too thick either.Step 2: Cut two pieces of ribbon for the handles. Mine were 17 3/4". You can adjust that length depending on how long or short you want the handles to be.

Step 3: Fold under a 1/2" twice on both ends of each piece of ribbon and pin them in place on the place mat. I pinned mine to the side that I wanted facing out. You could pin them to the inside as well. I pinned mine 3" from the outside edges and down about an inch. Make sure your ribbon does not get twisted.Step 4: Sew the ribbon onto the place mat. I sewed first in a square and through the center of the square to make an X. Repeat this on the other 3 pieces.

Step 5: Fold the place mat in half, right sides together and pin your side edges. Make sure the top edge is even too. Sew the side seams. I sewed 1/4" seams. Back stitch start and stop.

Step 6: Make the box corners. Open up your purse and flatten the side seams so that you get a point like this.

Step 7: Pin the sides to hold the corner in place. Measure from the point up 2". Place a pin to mark that spot.

Step 8: Sew a seam straight across from one side to the other at that 2 inch mark. This does require a bit of eye-balling. If you don't think you can sew a straight line you can draw one first with a pencil. Repeat with the other side.Step 9: Pin the points to the bottom of the purse and sew from the bottom of the triangle to the point directly over the existing stitches to attach the triangles to the bottom of the bag.

You are done. Turn the bag right side out and enjoy!! I think these are so cute. I like the fact that it is already lined. There are no unfinished seams on the inside of the bag. They are really quick and easy to make. No cutting involved. You have got to love that sewers!!!!

Pin It!
Print Friendly and PDF

17 comments:

  1. Very, very cute. You have amazing tutorials!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I am now on the lookout for cute placemats!
    Thanks for the great tutorial!
    Michelle

    www.justsimplejoys.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really cute! Thanks for the tutorial!

    I am new to your blog! I love the paper totes too!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cute and so easy! I just made my first one and posted it on my blog. Thanks for the easy tutorial

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this project and the place mat you found is fabulous! I'll be linking.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is adorable! Thanks for the easy instructions. Now I have to just find a cute place mat. Very inspiring thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It turned out so cute! Every time I go to the store now, I'll be looking for a placemat!
    Found you through oneprettything.com.
    Cute blog and baby!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It looks so cute =) I need to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ok that's just too ridiculously cute AND thrifty! Two things that I love best! Thanks for posting this tutorial. I have a feeling I'll be making one of these (or ten) soon.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your tutorial seems so easy and fun. Shall make one with my scrap fabrics, fabric place mat is rather expensive here.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm going to Target and going mat hunting. Thanks for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is the cutest purse ever! Thanks for the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks so much for this fabulously-easy-to-follow tutorial! I finally got around to making one after finding a great placemat at Target. Here it is

    http://lifemadecreations.blogspot.com/2009/03/placemat-purse.html

    Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ooooh, I have a couple placemats on hand just waiting to be repurposed into purses! I'll be linking from my blog www.kojodesigns.blogspot.com!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Good tutorial! I made one and linked to you. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I loved your tutorial! Thought this would be perfect for my granddaughter's birthday. I blogged it and linked to you. Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...