Mar 12, 2009

Applique Technique Revised

One thing that I really enjoy is doing applique projects. I have recently been frustrated by the process though because every time I go to sew down my applique piece my sewing machine needle gets all gummed up and starts skipping stitches and I end up having to change the needle and rethread multiple times. Surely this is not how it is supposed to be. Well I came up with an idea to help with this problem. I thought I would share it here in case anyone else has experienced this kind of frustration.
I wanted to make a Happy Birthday banner so I decided to test out my new idea on this project.
1st: Print out the words that you want to use on the computer. I found some cool fonts online and just increased the font size until it was what I wanted for my project.

This is the Heat N Bond that I always use for applique projects.

2nd: Trace letters backwards onto the Heat N Bond. (Note: I forgot all about the backwards part and got all the way to step 5 before realizing that I did it wrong then I had to start over.) I taped my paper to the window to make tracing easier. I try and cram as many letters onto my Heat N Bond as I can.

3rd: This is where I made my changes. Normally you are supposed to cut slightly outside the tracing lines, but I decided to cut inside the tracing lines instead. So cut out all your letters this way.

4th: Iron the letter to the wrong side of your fabric. Remember it will be backwards when you do this step.


5th: This is where I made my other change. Instead of cutting out on the tracing line like you would normally do, cut the letter out larger than the Heat N Bond piece.6th: Now peel off the paper backing and position the letter and iron in place. You will have to press down with the iron for a few seconds. 7th: Sew around the edge of the letter with a small zig-zag stitch. Because you have left an edge around the letter without the Heat N Bond glue it keeps your needle from getting all gummed up. It worked great. I don't know how well it would work on all applique projects but I intend to do this every chance I get. Unless anyone has any better ideas?
Pin It!
Print Friendly and PDF

3 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...