May 30, 2009

Potato Chip Makeover

I have tried a few methods for making homemade potato chips and haven't really ever disliked any of them. I have thinnly sliced them and fried them and have thinnly sliced them and baked them on a cookie sheet in the oven. Both take a long time and they still end up kind of greasy. But move over former potato chip making methods, there's a new boss in town. The microwave. I saw it in a Taste of Home Magazine. I was skeptical. "Would they really get crisp?" The answer is yes. But I didn't like the method the magazine suggested. They said to layer 3 sheets of paper towels on a microwave safe plate and then thinnly slice your potatoes, lightly coat in olive oil and spread in a single layer on the paper towel. Then sprinkle with seasonings. Microwave for 3 minutes and then flip and microwave 3 more minutes. Here is where that all went wrong for me. After the first session they were not nearly crisp and turning them was a pain (the paper towel stuck a lot), then when I put them in for 3 more minutes they still weren't quite ready so I put them in for a bit more. I pulled the plate, preflames, out of the microwave when I could smell that awful burnt smell and saw the smoke oozing out of the door. The middle chips were black, and on the verge of bursting into flames, as was the paper towel and yep even my microwave safe plate. But the chips were crispy. So I didn't want to give up.
So here is the best way to make these tasty treats. Get this:

It is a microwave bacon cooker (pretty sure that is not it's technical name but that is one of it's main uses). I got it at Wal-mart. It was a couple of dollars. If they have a bigger one than this, I would get it because this doesn't cook a lot.

Now wash and slice your potatoes thinnly (as thin as you can get). Toss in a bit of olive oil. Spread on the cooking sheet; do not overlap. Sprinkle with salt (or other seasonings if you would like) then microwave for about 3 1/2 minutes. It will depend a bit on your microwave. I put my last batch in for 4 minutes and it was almost too long. No need to flip part way through. After your time is up, allow the chips to just sit there for a minute or so longer. That is it. Crispy chips, not greasy, seasoned just how you like. Only trouble is you can't get enough of these.

Pin It!
Print Friendly and PDF

6 comments:

  1. That just made me hungry!

    ReplyDelete
  2. mmm, thanks for the tip, I have been wanting a "bacon cooker" thing anyways.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found your blog through another and just wanted to say I love it! Your ideas are absolutely adorable and clever. My daughter's birthday is coming up next month and I am going to try the cupcake cards as her invitations. Thank you very much for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just discovered your blog a few days ago and I LOVE it! You've got great ideas!

    I've given you a "One Lovely Blog" award! You can view it on my blog (thecreativeitchboutique.blogspot.com). Play along if you like!

    ReplyDelete
  5. haha.. I just read the comment above, and I've given you the SAME award! http://theladyisablogger.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmmm...very interesting!
    I've been experimenting with making them in the oven. I don't have what works exactly, BUT we are getting there!
    I soak my sliced potatoes for a good hour in water. I "marinate" them in the oil and seasonings and I put them on a parchment paper lined pan. It's the cooking part that I am trying to figure out still!
    I might just have to try this way.
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...