Feb 19, 2009

Changing Pad Clutch


I have found as a mom that you have to be really skilled at doing a lot of things one handed (some of my newly acquired talents: buttering toast one handed, mixing formula, vacuuming, moving laundry from the washer to the dryer). One thing that can be really tricky is diaper changing. Think about trying to hold a squirmy baby with a blowout diaper while getting out the necessary changing necessities, folding down the change table, laying out some kind of pad, getting the baby on it and to stay in one place while you get diapers and wipes handy. I wanted to think of something that could be easy to grab and hold with one hand that would carry most of your diaper changing necessities. So I designed this. It is a changing pad clutch that can hold a couple of diapers, a small wipes container and it is all neatly wrapped in the changing pad making it easy to grab with one hand. I think this is something that I would like to try and sell but I also thought I would be kind enough to post a tutorial. If you would like one of these but don't sew then let me know and I would be glad to custom make you one.
To start you will need 2 pieces of fabric and one piece of quilt batting each measuring 21.5"x 13.5". I used 1 piece of polar fleece and one piece of cotton fabric. You could use flannel or Teri cloth also. You want to have something soft for the side that the baby will lay on when being changed. I decided to round my corners for this project. I used a template from a pattern by Heart to Art from the Winsome Baby book. It is not necessary to round the corners. If you want to make your own template it is basically a 1/4 piece of a circle. Your circle should be about 9.5" in diameter. I am sorry because I am not good at math so I can't tell you the exact mathematical process of making a circle this size. I would just find a bowl or a plate that is the size I want and trace it then fold it in 1/4's. My 3 pieces.How to place your template. I pinned through all 3 layers and cut once.

Lay all 3 pieces together. Batting first then fleece, then cotton fabric right side down. (If your fleece or flannel had a print then you would place it right side up and the cotton on top right side down. Just remember: right sides together) Pin these together.
Sew a 1/4 inch seam starting on a flat side. You will want to start in the middle of the flat side because you will need to leave an opening for turning and you don't want that to be on a curve. Back stitch to start.
Sew all the way around to the same side you started on but leave an opening for turning. A good rule of thumb for an opening size is the size of your hand laid flat on the fabric with your fingers spread slightly (about 4 inches). Back stitch again.
Clip your curves if you decided to curve the edges. Clips should be about a 1/2 " apart.
Turn your fabric so that it is right side out and the batting is now in the middle. I pressed mine with an iron to flatten my edges.
Tuck in the edges of the opening and pin in place.

Now topstitch around the entire change pad with an 1/8" seam. Back stitch to start and stop. Remember this stitching will show so you want to do your very best.
Next you will want to determine the placement of your Velcro closure. To do this place your wipes case and 2 or 3 diapers (I used 2) on the soft side of your change pad like this (see above).
Fold the bottom edge up and over your diapers.
Continue to wrap the change pad around the diapers until it looks like this. It may not look exactly like this depending on how many diapers you use. You want to wrap quite tightly around the diapers.
Cut 2 pieces of Velcro 1" squared. Place one at the top in the middle and one on the folded up side in the middle also. I put the softer piece of Velcro on the fleece side because this is the side the baby will lay on and it won't be as scratchy.
Pin the Velcro in place.
Sew around each piece of Velcro. I sew in a square around the outside edge and then through the middle to make an X. Remember to back stitch.

Tada!! You are finished and have a nice neatly wrapped change pad/diapers/wipes carrier. It is all wrapped tightly together and can fit in your diaper bag making it really easy to grad (especially one handed). If you feel that this is too small you can increase the length. This would make it so that you could hold more diapers. I think this size is perfect for holding with one hand.

Here is a side view.
Here is what the one I made looks like tucked in the diaper bag that I made for my friend.

Here is the whole set that I am giving as my baby gift. I have a diaper bag, my change pad clutch, an extra change pad (the square thing), a fleece lined baby sling and a little zipper pouch (great for holding binkie's, lotion, toiletries or money). And yep, I made it all myself. I can't wait to give it to her.

For links to patterns or places to get patterns for all these pieces please read THIS POST
Pin It!
Print Friendly and PDF

18 comments:

  1. Wow, I am so impressed. I am pregnant with my first child, and I sew and this looked so interesting! I can't wait until spring break to try it all out. Your friend is very lucky to have such a crafty friend as you. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful!! I needed an idea for a baby shower for my sister in law and I think thats just the ticket for her and her first baby.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely LOVE this project. Hope you don't mind that I linked to it from my blog (http://laptopstolullabies.blogspot.com/2009/02/changin-on-fly.html). Your crafts are so inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's really great! I wonder if you could make one out of a placemat (like your recent purse project)!

    ReplyDelete
  5. p.s. I also love the whole set you made! Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is such a great idea. Not only is it functional, but it is super cute too! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the whole set! Too cute! Thanks for sharing with Tip Junkie!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Can you put a tutorial on how to make the WHOLE set!?! Please! I LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a fabulous idea! I can't wait to try it out myself!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the set that you made for your friend. I was wondering if you would be willing to post the pattern/tutorial for the diaper bag because it looks so cute and conventional--two separate sections and all the pocket space--I just love it! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. is there a way that if i gave you my information you could make me a set like that? I am about 2 months along and i love your work. its beautiful. please email me. my email is lorlele@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Is there any way that you can share how you made the diaper bag and the sling? I have made the changing pad and now want to complete the set :) Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for the tutorial! I just made one to go with a diaper bag I am working on and thought I would share the result with you. http://simplysaura.blogspot.com/2010/02/changing-pad.html
    I can hardly wait until my baby is born (in June) to be able to use it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you for this great how-to:) I am pregnant with my third son and just got into sewing recently so baby related items have been peaking my interest. I just made my own nursing cover and am now looking to do a diaper bag, this clutch will be a perfect addition! Plus it will be a great gift idea too.

    ReplyDelete
  15. All looks amazing, you need to start selling and make yourself millions! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I did it! Doesn't look quite as polished as yours does, but I am planning to make a few more so hopefully they will continue to look better. Here is a link to my blog post where I put pictures of mine, as well as a link to your blog so people could get your awesome instructions:)

    http://chrystal-lewis.blogspot.com/2010/04/diaper-clutchchanging-pad.html

    ReplyDelete
  17. I LOVE THIS.
    There is a young lady that I want to make this for, this is perfect.
    You do such a good job

    ReplyDelete
  18. these are great baby shower gifts

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...