May 6, 2011

Creative Mom #8 Bits of This and That

Hello Small Fry & Co. readers! My name is Britli and I am the girl behind Bits of this and that. I am so excited to be blogging over here today! I recently have just started a blog and love being part of the blogging world. I love to craft, sew, decorate, organize, paint, coupon and scrapbook. I blog about bits of this and that, a little of everything!
I have a 9 month old boy and his room is done in a cowboy theme. With all of the subway art floating around I decided to do a cowboy themed one to go with his room. So thats where the project started....
This is the before picture.... I found this frame at DI for a dollar and thought it would be perfect for this project.
I started out by taking the old picture out and using the cardboard piece behind it. I got paint color strips and glued them onto the cardboard piece. (I did every other strip with the dark end on different sides so the dark and light wouldn't be the same place) I put a books on top of it until it dried so it wouldn't curl.
Once the glue dried I cut the extra off and put it on a newspaper. Then paint with crackle medium and let that dry.
Once the crackle medium was dry I painted over the top with a tan paint.
As its starting to crackle...
I then got out my handy dandy Silhouette! I did cowboy words so it would match Baby B's room, but you could do any variety of words. Also if you don't have a silhouette you could print or stamp letters and cut them out. Or even the press on letters would work good too. :) (Or if you want certain words cut out in vinyl e-mail me and I can do cusotm orders through my etsy shop. :) There is a link on my blog.)
After I pulled all the extra vinyl off. (I had to do it in a few different pieces where the frame is so long) And yes the U is missing in "Buckaroo." Accidentally pulled it off too so I had to cut an extra one. :)
I then pressed transfer paper on top of the vinyl so I wouldn't have to mess with the spacing.
Here it is once on the transfer paper. It is backwards but will be the right way once it is on whatever you are putting it on.
Here was the first finished product. I got this far and didn't like the color of the frame. So back to a new idea... :)
I decided to paint it with a really light tan. Once it was dry I sanded it to make it look distressed and old. I also got out a flat head screw driver and scratched it up and hammered some screw driver marks into it. Yep don't know what else to call that. :)
And here is the finished product! It was a fun project and really quite easy and quick!
Stop by Bits of this and that and say hi! Become a follower! And stay a while and see what I have been blogging about!
Pin It!
Print Friendly and PDF

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...