May 31, 2011

Repurpose a Tablecloth Series: Outdoor Pillows


Unfortunately I can't take the credit for these myself-I have to give it to Ms. Martha Stewart.  I found this idea in her magazine years ago and have never really needed to try it but I always liked it.  Then I convinced my husband to pull this old swing out of the shed and hang it up.  Not only are my children thrilled with a swing big enough for the whole family but I also now had a reason to try making these fantastic table cloth pillows. SIDENOTE: one day the swing will be repainted and in prime condition.
So here is what you do:
1. Cut two pieces of tablecloth slightly bigger than the pillow you are using.  The tablecloth obviously doesn't stretch so make sure you have it big enough.  
2. Turn the tablecloth pieces right sides together and sew along 3 sides.  I used my serger but you can use a regular machine too.
3. Turn the "pillow case" right side out, poking out the corners and stuff your pillow inside.
4.  Now I am not going to lie-sewing the opening closed is the hardest part because the tablecloth slips and you can't pin it in place so what I found worked the best was to stuff the pillow down as far as I could then...
fold in the edges on the open side (about a 1/2"). 
5. Stitch the opening closed on your regular machine.  Mine was not straight-it was just pretty tricky (but I put that side to the bottom so who cares).

TADA!!!!! Decorative, functional, and waterproof (and kind of fragile in a way-you don't want them to get caught on something pokey or rip them because then they will be toast). NOTE: I was outside just today after having my pillows out for a few days and they get hit by the sprinklers and also got a bit of rain and one of them was soaked completely through-so I am thinking the waterproofness has it's limits-BE FOREWARNED.  I was bummed, but they are still cute-just if you are going to have them hit with lots of water maybe pick something else.

Pin It!
Print Friendly and PDF

2 comments:

  1. Ah, that Martha Stewart with her ingeniousness! Can't wait to see the rest of this series:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What great idea's!! I love thrift stores and get many idea's for re-purposing!! Thank you for sharing yours!! Looking forward to more?!Cdicker3@cox.net......

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...