Mar 11, 2013

Make Monday: Cactus Nachos

I guess I am too late posting an amazing Superbowl must have recipe so I am going to say that these are perfect for watching endless hours of March Madness basketball (isn't it ironic that March is national crafting month and also the month of endless college basketball?  Nothing like, "you do your thing honey and I will do mine."  I digress).  Cactus Nachos-cheesy, bacony (a new word for bacon lovers), spicey, did I mention cheesy?  A super yummy alternative to regular old nachos.  These are inspired by Boston Pizza Cactus Nachos.  I don't know if you can find them in the USA but you can find them in Canada and they are delicious.  Here is my version.

For this recipe you will need:
2 large potatoes (I use Russet)-or enough to cover 1 full sized sheet pan with slices
Cheese
3 or 4 slices of bacon (chopped)
Green or white onions (chopped)
Green peppers (chopped)
Salsa
1. Start by slicing your potatoes thin-but not too thin.  You don't want potato chip thickness-you want them to be thicker than that.  I use my Pampered Chef Simple Slicer on setting 3 (if you don't have one of these then you need to get one at the next Pampered Chef party you are invited to-so fantastic for slicing potatoes).  Okay so scrub your potatoes, slice them and then lay them on a parchment lined cooking sheet drizzled with oil.  Then drizzle oil all over the potatoes and sprinkle with salt and pepper, or something spicier if you have it and want it.  Bake in the oven preheated to 425 until they begin to turn golden brown (20-30 mins).  You want them as crispy as you can get them without burning them.  While these are baking fry up your bacon bits with the onions and peppers until the bacon is crispy.
2. Remove from the oven and transfer to a oven safe plate (the larger the better).  You don't want them overlapping that much.  The more they overlap the soggier they will be in the end.  Mine were a bit crowded but this was the biggest plate I had.
3. Now top with cheese
and bacon/onions/peppers
and salsa (and more cheese if desired)
3. Now put the whole plate back in the oven under the broiler until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
4. Now for the BEST part-eat.  There are usually some that are a bit soggy from the juice from the salsa but so far it hasn't ever seemed to deter my husband or I from eating
and eating
and eating some more.
Cactus nachos-they are an excellent appetizer but they also make a great meal. They would be perfect for the big game, or sleepovers, or a movie night.  Customize them how you choose.  Who knew potatoes could be the new nacho?
Pin It!
Print Friendly and PDF

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE Boston Pizza's Cactus Cut Nachos. Mmmm. I think I will have to try to make these! Thanks for the idea.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...