May 21, 2013

Patriotic Pop Can Wreath


What could be more American than Soda Pop?  Last fall I saw a fall wreath made of leaves cut from pop cans.  Since then I have wanted to make a wreath using pop cans but I couldn't come up with the right color combination.  Then one morning on a walk I got an inspiration to make a patriotic wreath using red, white and blue-very popular pop can colors.  This is one of those projects that makes you grateful that you recycle because the cost is minimal and the supplies are usually plentiful.  
To begin you need to gather and cut your pop cans.  To do this I used a plain old steak knife.  I am not going to guarantee that this won't ruin said steak knife.  I happen to have a surplus of these so I didn't mind destroying one for this cause and as it turned out it didn't destroy it.  I just want to add that disclaimer so that no one gets upset if they ruin their good steak knives doing this.  
 Make your first cut around the top rim of the can-I do this just above where the can begins to angle up.  Just stick the point of the knife in and cut (WARNING: if you don't like the sound of nails on a chalkboard you may not like this either).
 Then repeat and cut off the other end.  Be careful because the can edges do become sharp.
 Lastly cut the remaining can piece with a pair of scissors.  You can flatten this piece by putting it under something heavy like a brick out on the cement, or stepping on it.
Next you will want to cut your stars.  I did this using die cuts at my husbands school.  I was able to cut 2 stars from each pop can piece though the star die was bigger than the pop can piece was wide so some of the tips got cut off.  An amazing thing happens when you cut the can with a die cut - the edges are not sharp. Now I know what some of you might be thinking, "I don't have any die cuts but I bet I could just cut those out with scissors."  That is what I would have thought if I didn't have access to die cuts but let me tell you it will take longer, be harder, be sharper and probably won't turn out as good so I highly recommend finding some die cuts to do this.  Many scrapbook places have access to them, and schools.  Your neighbor may even have their own die cut machine-I know mine does.  
I don't know exactly how many pop cans I used but it was quite a few-probably at least 2 grocery sacks full (of pop cans before they were cut down).
 I also thought that some little yellow stars shooting off of wire curls might look cut so I cut out some mini stars from some lemonade cans.
 Then using good old hot glue, stick the stars onto your wreath base.  I used a grapevine wreath.  I kind of liked a bit of a rustic look so I crinkled and bent each star before sticking it on.  WARNING: hot glue on an aluminum can piece is HOT!!!  Just overlap as you fill in the whole wreath base.
 Then I added the mini stars by gluing them first to wire curls I made by wrapping a piece of wire around a pencil.  Glue those randomly all over the wreath.
 Perfect and patriotic. Soda is American, pop cans are American, and recycling should be part of every Americans life, so I love all the things this represents.
What a fun way to brighten up your front door this summer.  I bet if you look around your garage long enough you will find pretty much all the supplies you will need.  And it is a good reason to enjoy a cold soda on a hot day this summer.  
God bless America.

Also shared here:

Pin It!
Print Friendly and PDF

5 comments:

  1. This is amazing! I will have to definitely give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this - Thank you for sharing - the little stars are a great detail
    April

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PS I also wanted to add that I love how it can work for us peps celebrating in Canada too =)

      Delete
    2. Did you notice the Canada Dry? Just happened to have some cans here that I brought back with me. Had to add em.

      Delete
  3. SHUT UP! this is beyond cute, and so clever, and "Original" Well done. Sharing on my COM-FB page hugs, jen

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...