May 20, 2013

Make Ahead Monday: Strawberry & Cream Cheese Filled French Toast Rolls

It's a long name but what it really stands for is: DELICIOUS.  These are almost too yummy to categorize as a breakfast item but I am okay with making that stretch.  I got the recipe/idea from Cinnamon Spice and Everything Nice.  She makes her's with peanut butter and jelly.  We are not PB&J fans at my house so I came up with an alternative filling and it is EXCELLENT-strawberry cream cheese.  
I am going to let you go to the original source for the recipe and instructions but I just wanted to share how I made the filling.  
I used whipped cream cheese spread.  Have you tried this?  This was my first time and I am hooked.  I always seem to have a rough time getting my cream cheese smooth and creamy but this is already as smooth and creamy as one could want.  
I mixed half a container of whipped cream cheese with 1 tbsp of sugar.
Then I added about a 1/4 cup of homemade strawberry freezer jam (you could use any kind of jam).  The amount of jam is totally up to you. I may have added an addition tbsp or 2 as I mixed-I can't be sure.  
Now follow the recipe as it is written only spread the cream cheese mixture on the bread before rolling.  This were easy to make but they take a few minutes to cook so plan ahead.  Also I had a hard time keeping them rolled up before I put them in the egg/milk mixture so I used a toothpick to hold them closed and set something heavy on top of them (I used my rolling pin).  Now for the make ahead part.  I followed the recipe as stated and was able to make 12 rolls.  Place these on a cookie sheet lined with parchment and place in your freezer until firm.  Transfer to a freezer bag and now you have quick and easy breakfast rolls ready to go.  Just pop them in the microwave until soft (but be careful because the center will heat up fast and could burn).  If you take a bit of time one afternoon you could make a bunch of these and have easy breakfasts ready for a while (well unless your family can't resist them and scarfs them quickly).  These are sweet but also have a bit of tang from the cream cheese.  Drizzle them in some warm syrup and you will be in heaven.
Pin It!
Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...