Feb 7, 2009

New Recipe: Ham and Cheese Strata Muffins

I realized the other day that the week was almost over and I hadn't even thought about trying a new recipe yet so this morning while we were all home I decided to try out this one. Ham and Cheese Strata Muffins (basically like a ham and cheese omelet and toast all rolled into one). I thought the assembly was easy but it was really messy. The finished product however was delicious. I think these would be great made for a brunch or breakfast for a large group like a youth conference or Relief Society. I think they would be easy to make in an assembly line fashion. But they are great for breakfast at home too.

The Recipe: (I cut the recipe in half but I will give you the full thing right here)
8 slices of bread (I used white cause that is what I had, but whole wheat would be great too)

4 slices of cheese (I used cheddar, not the prefabricated slices either, those aren't allowed in my house)
4 slices ham
1/4 cup marg (or butter, but it needs to be spreadable)
6 eggs
1 cup milk
1/2 tsp each salt and pepper
1/4 tsp each dry mustard and Worcestershire sauce
1 green onion finely chopped

Preheat oven to 350F. Spray muffin panTop 4 slices of bread with cheese and ham.Top with remaining slice to make 4 sandwiches. (I made 3 because two of mine were using mini slices of bread)Spread margarine evenly over both sides of sandwich. (The beginning of the messy part)Slice each sandwhich into large cubes with a serrated knife. (the real messy part)

Stuff 3 or 4 cubes into each cup of muffin pan (will be tight)
Mix remaining ingredients in a bowl (one that you can pour from would work great).Pour liquid mixture over each muffin cup. You have to pour slow to allow the egg mixture to soak into the bread and fill the muffin cup part way. Let stand for 10 minutes.Bake for 30 minutes. Serve while hot. These can be put in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.



Husbands comments: "When I saw you pouring that wet stuff over the bread I thought these were going to be really soggy but I am very surprised how crunchy they are on top. I really like em." That says it all folks.

Pin It!
Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...