Feb 21, 2010

I need a tune up

I am here to post the honest truth-I am in a slump. I am not feeling even the slightest creative spark currently and I am not sure how to get out of it. I have an idea list of things that I want to do but just can't seem to find the creative juices to get started. I need to refresh my battery, tweek my engine or something. I just got home from a "vacation" to another small town in my great state for the state basketball tournament. We were staying at a hotel with a swimming pool, there was a new walmart for me to frequent (and get material for a good post of two), the town had a clothing store at which I planned to go shopping-so it had the makings for a rejuvenating experience. Or so I thought. It was possibly one of the most stressful things I have done in a while. I don't think there was one moment of relaxation that took place for me and I didn't come home with that recharged, revamped feeling that even a mini vacation is supposed to produce. And you know I have been thinking-we take our cars in to get them a tune up to keep them running properly and at their best and yet how many mothers ever get a tune up. I am not tuned up. I was watching "What Not to Wear" which I try not to make habit of because it makes me feel worse about my very poor selection of clothing each time I watch the show, but there was nothing else on and I was rocking the baby to sleep. Anyway they were making over a women who was 38 years old. She said she didn't think it mattered how you dressed after you got married and had kids. They told her she looked like she threw in the towel at age 35. She said, she felt like she threw in the towel at age 30. That is me people. 30. This mother said she just didn't feel like she should spend money and time on herself but that she needed to devote it to her family. And I like what Stacey and Clinton told her "you are part of the picture too-why is it that you don't feel like you deserve some time and money as well." Exactly- but I fall into that same mothers trap-worry about everyone else, who has time for hair and makeup the baby is crying, shop for myself-how with two children under the age of 2. I feel guilty spending money on myself especially since I am not the one who makes the money and so I feel like it shouldn't be spent on a new shirt for me-I should buy new crayons for small fry and diapers and fruit and fresh veggies and toilet bowel cleaner. And all the while as a mom you just get more and more run down and run down. AND THEN YOU NEED A TUNE UP!!!! That is where I am at. I am feeling a major need for a tune up, something fresh and fun, and a creative spark. Quite possibly I am the only one out there like this but basically what I am saying is-this gal is just fresh tapped out. So I might just be posting some new recipes for a couple of days while I see if I can get myself back together. Stay tuned.
Pin It!
Print Friendly and PDF

7 comments:

  1. I get that way sometimes too. For me, getting a great hair cut works wonders. Nothing like a new cut and color to make me feel better. Sounds silly but I like they way it makes me feel when I have new highlights and something different.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh WOW!! I do that too. My hubby has to force to go by new clothes, or get my hair done--LOL!! I always think about everyone first, and I get into slumps too. I am currently hating my wardrobe for one :) I hope you get a tune-up soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm in the exact same position. I have 3 kids (all girls) ages 8, 2, and 2months. My husband works 2nd shift so he pretty much sleeps all morning, wakes up to eat lunch with us then goes to work until midnight. We live in Nebraska where we have had one of the worst winters in years(we've had at least 1 inch of snow on the ground everyday since December 1st) I'm just plain wore out. The only time I try to dress up is on Sunday for church and boyhowdy that is a chore when NONE of the clothes in your closet fit, NONE! I'm in major need of a tune up, but I feel the same way about spending money I feel guilty (my husband had been unemployed for almost a year, he just started this job about a month ago so there's no way I can justify spending money on clothes for me when the girls need stuff) I hope some of your othere readers have ideas on how to "tune up" on a budget, I'd really appreciate it!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am exactly in the same boat as well. I find this time of year especially hard because the cold makes me want to hibernate until Spring. Ugh. And then this year I have taken time off working from home to concentrate on kids and house but now that I no longer contribute to the household income, I don't feel I should be spending money frivolously. Which makes me not do stuff around the house that I needed the time to do. Which makes me feel bad. Viscous cycle. I hope to start my engine this week with a mini powder room makeover. Hope you find your spark too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hope you feel better soon. You definitely aren't alone, we all get this way :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. Clint and Stacy are freakin' philosophers. Yep, it hits all of us. You'll get back into the swing of things soon enough!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You stay at home Moms are falling into the trap that under values what you do. If anyone in the world deserves a break, go shopping and spend money, or go on a vacation - IT IS YOU MOMS. Bless all your sweet hearts, you do need to have a break to recharge, and feel good. I did the same thing, but it is not good. You all deserve to be able to spend on yourselves, the amount that you contribute to this world of ours is hugh. What the world needs is a system to compensate you moms for all that you do, and you know what, everyone feels that you should be compensated but someone probably sat down and when they figured out what you deserve, it was so much money no one could afford it. So they leave you to think you don't deserve a treat now and then. Well you do, now if we could just figure out a way to have that happen on such a tight budget. Everyone of you should pat yourselves on the back, give yourself a hug, and yell out loud - I deserve every thing I want and then more. I wish I could be the granter of wishes, but have no idea how to get to Utah and Nebraska, and where ever else you all live, but I would do it if I could. This comes from someone who knows, and did the same thing myself. Whatever you do, don't let yourself think you don't deserve it - cause you do.
    Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...