Jun 9, 2010

Recipes, Recipes

Hello friends. I feel like I have not been blogging in ages (though it may only be about a week). Things have been HECTIC: kids are under the weather and CRANKY!!!!, I started working at our school's summer lunch program (think hair nets and processed foods), it is hot and I feel sluggish and the weeds are growing and the house work is piling up and if you need a few more excuses can I just add that my dog ate my homework too??? Well anyway I am taking a minute to share a few recipes. I love it when I find a new recipe that is easy and delicious, but most of the time I just stick with the standard, tried and true family favorites. It is disappointing to slave away over something new only to have it be a flop. So I can assure you that these recipes won't be a flop (well unless you aren't a good cook-then I can't guarantee anything). I don't have any pictures but people have I ever led you astray before?? (don't answer that) Here it goes:

Carnitas-If you would like a change from the standard ground beef tacos then try these. Oh my goodness (as small fry would say) these are delicious. You can use pork or beef, I have tried making them with both. I even made them with an elk roast. You make it in your crock pot so it is a breeze to cook. The only thing I would do is add a bit more salt. Really tasty!!!!

And to go with the carnitas try these homemade flour tortillas. I wouldn't say that I will never buy the ones from the store again because they are just too convenient but these homemade ones are super good. They are just time consuming. They are not something to add as an after thought the last half hour before company is coming (that sounds like something my mom would have done a few years ago). I made a full recipe the first time I made them and I was rolling for quite a while. I just kept the left overs in a plastic bag and even used some of them as pizza crusts and that turned out really well. Anyway enough rambling. These are really good.

Next to continue with that Mexican kind of theme Mango Salsa. This is something that I concocted after getting some mangos in my Bountiful Basket. I found a recipe online and then adapted it. I am sharing my adaptation.
Mango Salsa
2 large fresh mangos diced
1/2 a green pepper diced
1/2 a red pepper diced
1 jalapeno seeded and minced
1/4 cup crushed pineapple (drained)
1 clove garlic crushed
2 small green onions chopped (including green stems)
2 tbsp olive oil
1 small bunch of cilantro chopped
1 large tomato chopped
juice and zest of 2 limes
salt and pepper to taste
Mix everything together in a bowl. Refrigerate overnight before serving. Serve as is with chips, or bake on chicken.
Best Ever Cookies- this is a recipe I just recently tried and the name is pretty much totally accurate.
1 3/4 cup flour (I used 1 cup white flour, 3/4 cup whole wheat)
1/2 tsp bkg soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cream of tartar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup canola oil
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup coconut
1/2 cup oatmeal
1/2 cup rice krispies
1/2 cup chocolate chips (milk chocolate)
Preheat oven to 350. Cream sugars, butter, oil, egg and vanilla until creamy. Add all other ingredients. Mix with a wooden spoon. Drop by tsp fulls onto ungreased cookie sheet. Bake for 10-12 minutes. DEVOUR!!!!
Pin It!
Print Friendly and PDF

1 comment:

  1. I am way excited to try your recipes! They all look yummy. Thanks for sharing. Love ya! Natalie

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...