Apr 14, 2011

Binkie Clip with Tags

This is an idea that has been floating around in my head for a while: a binkie clip with tags (combining the usefulness of a binkie clip with the interest of tags and ribbons).
For this project you will need:
1 piece of material 3x 18"
A suspender clip (picture to follow)
ribbon scraps
snap fasteners
These are suspender clips.
Start by cutting and laying out your strip of fabric.
Cut various pieces of ribbon and pin them to one side (having the ends of the ribbon hang over the edge of the fabric).  Don't pin them all the way from the top to the bottom.  Start about 3 inches down from the top and end about the same amount from the bottom.
Sew these in place (you can't see my stitches because I am using clear thread).
Now fold the whole piece of fabric in half with the right sides together.  Sew along the cut edge.  I used my serger but you can use a regular machine too.  Sew a 1/4" seam.  Leave the ends open.
Next comes turning.  In case you have never done this before let me try and show and explain just how to do this.  Start by using a large safety pin and pin it through one side of one end.  When I say one side I mean don't pin it through both layers of fabric.
Now start by pushing the pin down inside the tube of fabric.  It takes a bit of maneuvering to get it started.  Once it is down part way pinch the pin with your thumb and finger on one hand and scrunch the fabric up and over the pin with the other.  NOTE: as you are doing this you will want to try and move your pin along so that it is going over the top of the ribbon pieces and not through the middle of them.  I just made sure I could feel the pin right below the fabric.  It is kinda tricky but you can do it.
It should look like this.  The fabric will now start to insert itself in the center of the tube too.  Repeat this pinch and scrunch technique until the pin exits the other end of the tube.
Your piece should look like this.
Iron it flat.  Topstitch along each side.
On the end you are attaching the clip too, tuck the end of the fabric into the tube (about a 1/4"), then fold up about 1 inch over the suspender clip.  Notice the clip is right side down.
Stitch in place.  I sewed back and forth a few times to make sure it was secure.  I found it was hard to start up over the edge of the fabric with my machine (I think my machine is a bit wimpy) so I sewed from the middle down and then turned my piece around and sewed from the middle down the opposite way.
Attach a snap fastener to the other end (if you don't have a snap fastener you could use velcro or a button and button hole). 
Here is the back side.  This is the end that will attach to a binkie.
Tada!!



Pin It!
Print Friendly and PDF

17 comments:

  1. That is a great idea! I think that is going to be a go to baby shower gift!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great, Great idea! I will be making one of these for my baby! I am featuring this at somedaycrafts.blogspot.com today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea to add the little taggies to a binkie clip! I linked to your tutorial on Craft Gossip Sewing:
    http://sewing.craftgossip.com/tutorial-taggie-binkie-clip/2011/04/14/

    --Anne

    ReplyDelete
  4. i want to do this so bad! thanks for showing me how!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Clever! Love your tutorial!;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haha, great minds think alike. I had, and have, these for sale in my etsy shop, MoreThanBabyBlankets. Not with so many tags, but same idea. I thought it was original to me!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is the cutest binkie clip ever! Thanks for sharing the how-to, I'll be linking.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just whipped one up. LOVE it!! Thank you for the wonderful idea and tutorial :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great Idea! I often make binky clips, so I'll have to try this on the next one!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is awesome! Great idea! I've made some little tag chew-size burp cloths before and (word of warning) the Taggies company threatened to sue me for calling them taggies and for making them all together. Apparently they have patented the process of sewing a loop of ribbon into a seam. Ridiculous. I just keep it low now.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is really cute! I find that when something looks like it will be hard to turn, and this one looks like a hum dinger because of the ribbon, this is what I'd do:

    1: Lay the fabric right side down, iron the long edges up about 1/4 inch in.
    2: Fold in half lengthwise and iron with wrong sides together (matching edges as best as you can)
    3: Pin ribbons in place BETWEEN outer edges,(Raw ends in, loop side sticking out, kinda looks like lettuce sticking out of a sandwich) and sew up the long edge twice for durability.
    4: You can then fold the short ends in as you had done before adding the snap/etc. Voile! No turning and it makes life a whole lot easier!

    Thanks for sharing! : )

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for sharing your tutorials are great! Love the ability to print also..

    ReplyDelete
  13. What size fastener did you use?

    ReplyDelete
  14. I can't quite grasp how the ribbons get inside when you fold it in half with right sides together...do you tuck them in first then sew?

    ReplyDelete
  15. great tutorial! greetings from germany :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...