May 19, 2011

Doughnut Pops (for all the non Bakerella's out there)

I love Bakerella.  Her blog was the first one I ever started reading and I have envied her baking ability ever since.  I have tried a couple of times to make her cake pops but not with a ton of success.  But then I had a genius idea (which maybe someone else has had too) to use doughnut holes. The result: well you can't make them into cutesie shapes like Bakerella but they are super easy, and delicious; hey works for me.
Here is what I did:
1. Start by putting a lollipop stick into each doughnut hole.  (You could dip the top of the stick in some melted chocolate first for it to adhere better-I thought of that after but they still worked fine).  Lay them all out on a cookie sheet and freeze them.  If you are not going to need them right away, once they are frozen put them in a storage container to keep for later.  If you are using them right away, keep them in the freezer until right before you will dip them.
2. Melt your chocolate (or artificial chocolate coating).  I used almond bark-which by the way contains no almonds which I am highly allergic too.  I tinted mine with some paste food coloring.  This is a tricky matter, so if you want a color I would recommend that you just get the colored wafers that you can melt.  I happen to live no where near a place that sells those so I tried the tricky way. I also thinned it down with a tbsp of shortening.  Just be advised it is a good idea to read the directions on the package before proceeding.
3.  Dip your doughnut pops a few at a time, keeping the rest frozen.  Once they have hardened store in a sealed container in the fridge.
Beautiful!! (I love the swirls the candy coating made)
Pin It!
Print Friendly and PDF

3 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh! I never thought to do this with doughnut holes! What a time saver! Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you tried gel food coloring. I have had some coloring success with that. Those look AWESOME!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, LOVE! I always see cake pops and think cute but so much work... These are definitely more my style!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...