Jun 14, 2013

Coffee Filter Sunflower Wreath

It is crazy and wonderful to me, where I get inspiration from sometimes.  The inspiration from this project came from a  kids craft at out local community center that I saw at a glance after I took a dance fitness class.  I saw these cute little sunflowers the kids had made out of coffee filters that they colored with crayons and I saw this wreath in my mind.  And I have to say it is even more beautiful than I pictured it.  I love how it turned out-so perfectly cheery and welcoming for the summer.

For this you will need:
coffee filters-1 package will do
yellow food coloring plus a drop of orange (I actually used a combo of yellow food coloring and a bit of orange Kool-aid because I didn't have orange food coloring)
Brown terry towel material (an old towel would work for this)
Hot glue
Wreath Base
Something to wrap said wreath base in (I used some fabric scraps but burlap would look awesome too-I didn't have enough)

Step 1: Dye your coffee filters.  Let me share a link to my post on how to do this the super quick and easy way using Kool-aid and your dryer.   Once these are dry lay 3 or 4 or 5 filters on top of each other.  I used a combination of sunflowers made from 3, and from 4 and from 5 on my wreath.  Ones made with 5 filters are fluffier.
Step 2: Fold the stack in half.
Step 3: Cut to look flower like.  I trimmed some of mine down before cutting the petals so that I would have a variety of shapes of sunflowers.  They don't have to be perfect because you can't tell in the final product.
Step 4: Open up the stack and alternate the layers so that all the petals are not laying directly on top of each other.
Step 5: Put a dab of hot glue between each layer.
Step 6: Cut the flower centers from the terry towel and glue in place.  I just roughly cut circles.
Step 7: Repeat....A LOT.
Step 8: Wrap your wreath if you haven't already and then begin gluing on the flowers.  Alternate them so they aren't all just directly on top of the wreath, have a few to the sides.

And you are done.  And it looks AMAZING.  I just love how happy it looks.  I love sunflowers except for the fact that they loose their petals so quickly and their heads droop.  But not this wreath-these babies will last all summer long (unless you put this directly in the sun or where it gets hit with rain...then I can't guarantee how long it will last).
Happy summer everyone.



Also shared here:

It's Overflowing

504 Main
Happy Go Lucky
Happy Hour Friday Button
Skip To My Lou

Pin It!
Print Friendly and PDF

4 comments:

  1. It is awesome and wonderful.... This is very good to get inspiration from any one. It shows your grasping power is very well.

    Regards,
    Kopi Luwak

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for such wonderful idea . I think you should go and make interesting mistakes, make amazing mistakes, make glorious and fantastic mistakes. Break rules. Leave the world more interesting for your being here. Make. Good. Art.
    That's the success mantra .

    Regards
    Finn Felton

    Kopi Luwak

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super cute. Pinned:) New follow and like on Facebook. Follow me back at http://www.sewsweetvintage.com/2013/06/handkerchief-party-bunting.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad I found this right before fall this year - thinking about making some to sent out to a friend - as always thanks for sharing - really miss your posts - April

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...