Jan 19, 2011

Snowman Sew Along Day 3 (today we finish)

It's the last day of the sew along-and the funnest day.  Today we are putting all the fun finishing touches on our snowman.
1. Start with the scarf.  For the scarf I cut a long piece of fabric (3 x 44”).  You could use fleece or felt too or even a real scarf.  Tie around your snowman’s neck.  Secure with glue if you would like (I didn't secure mine that makes it so that I could change it if I wanted to).  I tied mine in a double knot.  Cut slits in the ends to look like fringe.
 2. To make the mittens I used one of Small Fry’s mittens as a pattern.  (If you don’t have small mittens around don’t panic.  You could free hand one, or find a clipart one and enlarge or reduce the size to what you want). 

 3. I traced a pattern on paper first...
 then cut out 4 mitten pieces. 

 4. Turn these right sides together and sew a 1/8” seam all around leaving the cuff part open.  Clip to the stitching between the thumb and the rest of the glove (this is very important if you want it to look right when you turn it).  Clip the rest of the curves with small slits (don’t cut your stitching).  Turn right side out. 
 5. Stuff so they are fairly firm.  Slide onto the ends of the dowel (I couldn’t get the dowel to go through the stuffing so the dowel is behind the stuffing at the back of the mitten).  To secure I first put some hot glue around the dowel where the mitten ends and pinched the mitten around to stick to the hot glue.  Next I put a rubber band around the end of the mitten for extra hold. 
 6. Now pull the coat sleeves over the mittens to where you want them and adhere with hot glue.
 I tied an extra strip of fabric around the top of his hat to coordinate everything.
 7.  Last comes the garland and chalkboard.  For the chalk board I cut a piece of foam core board down to 9 1/2 x 7 1/2" (that was my size-yours can be whatever you want).  I spray painted it with chalkboard spray paint.  I took the other half of my dowel and also spray painted it black.  Once both were dry I hot glued the dowel to the back of the board and wrote my words. For the garland I used a piece of ribbon (36" long).  I tied it around each hand of the snowman.  I spray painted a few clothes pins black as well and sanded the edges once they were dry.  For the garland decorations I found odds and ends around my house (2 mismatched socks and a pair of winter gloves) and then made a second scarf (just like I made the first one).  You could add anything to the garland and have your sign say anything.
 And there you have your finished snowman.
I am adding a linky party for anyone who would like to show off their snowman from now until the end of the month.  Hope you enjoyed the sew along. 
To go back to the instructions for days 1 and 2 click here:





Pin It!
Print Friendly and PDF

2 comments:

  1. My posts got all mixed up. Day 2 and day 3 have now published on the same day-oh well. Enjoy the whole thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was confused at first with the post 3, but I see that day 2 is up now. I am featuring this at somedaycrafts.blogspot.com. Super cute!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...