Jan 17, 2011

Snowman Sew Along Day 1

For a list of materials see Small Fry's Sew Along.
Today we will be sewing the snowman body and forming his head as well as putting on his face.  This is a picture heavy post because I wanted to try and document each step carefully. 
MAKE SURE AND CLICK "READ MORE" to find the tutorial.  It is long so I didn't want anyone not interested to have to scroll through all of it.
1. Cut large material piece for body.  Turn right sides together and sew a ¼ inch seam to form one long tube.
2.Thread a large sturdy needle with 1 long piece of embroidery floss (a reader suggested using dental floss instead-have to try it some time).  Tie a knot in one end. 
3. Sew a running stitch all around one end of the tube (to create the bottom). 
4. Gather by pulling tight...

and sew 3 or 4 stitches back and forth through the gathered end to secure it.  Tie off your thread and cut. 
5. Turn tube right side out.
6. Fill the bottom of the tube with something to weigh your snow man down and help him stand upright.  I used pinto beans because I had an excess of them in my house (hey I still consider this “using my food storage”).  I placed mine in a bag first.  This will allow you to do the next step.  I secured the top with a rubber band.  I used about 6 cups of beans.  You can have more than this-but I wouldn’t recommend less.  I actually recommend more (if I could go back I would have filled him up a bit more).
When you put the weight in the tube as is, the snowman's body looks a bit bumpy.  You can do it this way and it doesn't really matter or you can do this...
Wrap the bag of beans (or whatever you are using) in a piece of quilt batting.  I found I had to tape it to the bag to start and then to itself before putting in the tube.  Don't secure the rubber band around the bag too tight because you want to have room to manipulate your weights inside as you slide this in.

7. Now slide it carefully into the tube and adjust the batting as needed.  See looks much better don't you think?
8. Finish stuffing the rest of your snowman.  You want him firm.  When you get near the top don’t stuff him as much as you will need to be able to manipulate the top to form his head.

(this is the top stuffed loosely).
 9.  Once again thread a needle and sew a running stitch around the top of the tube, pulling tight to gather and sewing a few stitches back and forth to secure.
 Will look like this.
 
10. Now you will want to define his head.  I did this by placing a rubber band around the tube where I would want his neck to be.  This will be covered with a scarf.  Mine is about 6 ½’ down from the top.
 11. Now because I am weird-I have to put his face on next.  I can catch the whole vision better when my creation has a face.  This could have been done before he was sewn up at the top I suppose.  Since his head is going to be covered this works too.  Thread a needle (a large honking one) with black embroidery floss.  I used 4 strands but 3 will work too or all 6 just not less than 3.  Tie a knot in one end.  Starting at the top near the gather insert your needle then pinch his head with your fingers...

 and have your needle exit where his first eye will be.  Next you will tie a French knot.  To do this pull the needle all the way out until you get to the end of the thread (in this case you will see that it starts pulling at the top where your knot actually is.  Don’t pull too tight).  Wrap the thread around the needle (at the part closest to the fabric) about 4 times (not less but not too many more).  Now insert the needle back into the fabric right beside (close beside) the exiting thread, move your needle over and have it come out again beside and slightly up from the first eye.  Hold onto the remaining thread as you pull the needle through to keep it from bunching up.  You should pull until you have created your first knot and it is tight.  Repeat this same process except...

 when you insert your needle this time you will pinch his head again and ...
 have the needle exit the top of the head near where you started from. 
 This gives him beady little eyes which almost all of my creations have.  If you want you could skip this all together and glue on some buttons, or circles of felt.  You could even draw them on for that matter.
 12. Last for today comes the carrot nose.  I wanted it to be 3-dimensional on this snowman.  To create the nose use an orange piece of felt.  Draw a curved line about 3 ¾ inches up from one corner point. 
 13. Cut on this line. 

 14. Run a bead of hot glue down one straight side and ...

 roll the felt to form a cone and secure the sides together. 

 15. Stuff cone half way full (fairly firm). 

 16. Using a needle and orange thread sew a running stitch right above where stuffing ends. 

 Pull tight and tie to secure.  Trim off excess. 

 17. Hot glue in place.  I glue it first and hold it until it stays then...
 I run some extra glue around the base and press the nose against the body and hold it until the glue dries.

 18. Okay, one more step.  Apply chalk or blush for his cheeks.
 Small fry wanted me to dress him and her up.

You made it.  You completed day 1.  Now get your rest so you will be ready for day 2.  Don't forget to grab a button if you would like to spread the word.

To go right to the instructions for days 2 and 3 click here:








Totally Tutorials Blog
Pin It!
Print Friendly and PDF

1 comment:

  1. I was going to link today, but I don't see the post with pictures and directions!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...