Mar 24, 2011

Taco Soup


This is my version of Martha Stewart's Tortilla Soup.  I love this soup; one of my favorites only it is pretty time consuming.  I came up with a similar soup that takes much less prep time and tastes just as good.

Chicken Taco Soup
1 can chicken breast (or 1-2 chicken breasts cooked and shredded)
2 cans diced tomatoes
1 can kidney beans (rinsed and drained)
chopped green peppers (about 1/4 cup-or as much as desired)
1 small chopped jalapeno (optional)
1/4 cup diced onions
1 clove of garlic minced (more if desired)
1 cup frozen corn
1 1/2 cups water
1 tsp cumin
2 tsps chopped cilantro
1 tsp lime juice (optional)
additional salt and pepper to taste.

If using chicken breast, cook and shred into small pieces.  Add chicken, tomatoes, beans (rinsed and drained), onion, garlic, peppers, water and spices to a large pot.  Bring to a boil.  Cook until veggies are tender.  NOTE: I sometimes get a bit tricky and chop up a yellow squash into small corn like looking pieces and add it and then add less corn.  My kiddos can't tell the difference.  Add cilantro, corn and lime just at the end.  Boil for an additional 5 minutes.  Spoon into bowls, top with shredded cheese and serve with taco chips on the side.  Serve!!!

This comes together so quick.  You can eliminate the things you don't like or add others.  I prepare this a lot on Sunday after church.  I use the canned chicken most of the time because it is so convenient.  This is really good if you make your own tortillas chips by cutting and frying some corn tortillas.  I like ours a bit spicy but to each his own.  Happy cooking.  Enjoy!!
Pin It!
Print Friendly and PDF

1 comment:

  1. Gonna try it Heath! Love that you use canned chicken - my least favorite thing in the world is cooking chicken!!! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...