Jan 28, 2013

Make Monday: Lime Chicken Quesadillas


During my years as a Family and Consumer Sciences teacher I created a yummy recipe for lime chicken taco salads that were a big hit with my students.  This recipe is inspired by those yummy salads which have been on my mind lately.  I love to cook but I have to say that I HATE making lunch.  Seems like I just finished making breakfast and I have been planning what to make for dinner and then lunch time arrives and I can't think of a thing to make.  My kids would be happy with mac and cheese and chicken nuggets every day but I would feel like the worlds worst mom for feeding them that everyday so I have to throw something else in at least a few times a week.  Luckily for me they love quesadillas.  

So here is my easy lime chicken and pinto bean quesadilla recipe:

1 can chunk chicken (I use the small can but if you are making lots of these you could use a larger can)
lime juice (1-2 tbsp)
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
1/4 tsp garlic salt
salt and pepper to taste (but use more pepper than salt)
pinto beans
grated cheese
additional toppings as desired


Start by emptying the can of chicken into a bowl and mixing in the lime juice, red pepper flakes, garlic salt and then salt and pepper and let that marinate for a minute.  If you don't want the spice omit the red pepper flakes.  If you want more of a lime flavor-add more lime juice.
Then simply assemble.  I spread my beans, add on the chicken, cover with cheese, sprinkle on some chopped green onions (those were an after thought so I didn't get them in the picture) and a few dollops of guacamole.


Then fold it in half and place on a hot grill sprayed with cooking spray.  Spray the top side of the quesadilla too with cooking spray.  When golden brown, flip it over and cook it on the other side.

Remove from heat and cool for just a couple of minutes then slice.  Super yummy flavor and it only takes about 5 minutes to prepare.  Now that is my kind of lunch.




Pin It!
Print Friendly and PDF

4 comments:

  1. Since I don't usually buy canned chicken and am always looking for ways to use leftovers... could I use leftover chicken here??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bettina, yes you can use left over chicken. Just do the exact same thing that the recipe states only your chicken would not be from a can. Good point-I was going to mention that in the post, so hopefully people read the comments to find out :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great... I pinned your idea and cut and pasted it for my grownup kids...wonder who will serve me this first!!??

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this dish because its easy making yummy dish.nice share
    Chicken quesadilla recipe

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...