Sep 1, 2010

Watermelon Welcome

Just a thought or two about watermelons-if you will bear with me. My whole life watermelon has been the symbol of summer. You knew summer was official when you purchased your first watermelon. Growing up in Canada we clearly were purchasing import melons from Texas or Mexico and didn't know the difference between a good one and a bad one. They were red, juicy and sweet and as much a part of summer as swimming. Fast forward to 3 years ago when I fell in love with and married a guy from G.R.-a proud watermelon growing hub. Come to find out I have been mistaken all my life because according to the locals watermelon does not signal the beginning of summer but rather that summer is ending. And there is a major difference between a good (a.k.a. G.R. melon) and a bad melon (a melon from any place else). It is not kosher to talk of eating or liking other melons and purchasing them-well you might as well wear a bag on your head. When we were first married the local store advertised impostor melons at the start of summer (when the rest of the USA starts eating them) and I was craving one so bad and asked my husband if he thought it would be okay if I went and got one. He never said yes or no but remained silent so I went ahead. I went to the store at very non-peak hours, ran in got the melon, paid quickly and ran out. I felt like I had committed a major crime but a delicious one nonetheless. Later on I saw another local buying a melon at the store during the off season and said, "Oh thank heavens, I am not the only one. I thought I was committing such a serious sin." She said, "You'd be surprised how many others do it too." Well anyway melon season is on it's way to wrapping up with the big Melon Days festival in a couple of weeks and I have been working like mad to finish my stuff (p.s. cute onesies to show in a day or two) but I wanted to make a watermelon welcome sign for our front door. My deadline was to have it done by Sept. 1st so I am posting just in the nick of time. Can you guess what it is made out of?



Pin It!
Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...