Sep 7, 2011

Make You Own Halloween Candy (kind of)

I am not becoming a hoarder but I am finding myself thinking, "I bet I could use that" about a lot more things than I used too and consequently I have little piles of odds and ends, trash and treasures all over my house.  One such thing was a stash of toilet paper rolls which I had an idea would make super cute Halloween candy (with real candy inside).
Here is what you need:
toilet paper rolls (or paper towel rolls cut into thirds)
Fabric scraps
Double sided tape (and spray adhesive if you have it)
Cardstock scraps
Ribbon, or thread to tie ends.
Begin by cutting a piece of fabric larger than your paper roll.  Make sure it is longer by at least 3 inches on both sides and wide enough to wrap all the way around and overlap.
Wrap the paper roll with double sided tape or you could use spray adhesive.
Wrap the fabric around the paper tube, making sure it is tight and smooth.
When you get to the end of the fabric, lay another piece of double sided tape along the edge of the fabric (the length of the roll) and press to attach.
Next (and you could do this before you start wrapping) trim the ends with pinking shears if desired.
Tie one end with a piece of ribbon, yarn or thread.  Cut ends of thread.
Before tying the other end stuff the tube with candy.  I fit about 3 Dum Dum suckers in each.  Then tie off the other end.
Now using some cardstock
cut a piece of paper an inch narrower than the tube is long.  Cut it long enough to wrap around (about 6.5 inches)
I found it best to apply spray adhesive to this piece and then wrap it around.
 This is how they will look. 
If you want to decorate them further you can add another piece of cardstock around the tube.
 And a cute Halloween tag.
Or I found this cute ribbon at the Dollar Store.
 Wrap a piece of it around the tube instead of cardstock.  NOTE: this ribbon had wired sides which I didn't like in this craft so I pulled the wires out and it worked much better.

Wouldn't a huge basket of these make a cute countdown to Halloween?  They would also make a cute favor for a class party or home party.  And I was thinking you could change the colors to reds and greens and use the same idea for Christmas.  So let the Halloween crafting begin.
Pin It!
Print Friendly and PDF

5 comments:

  1. This is such a great idea, looks so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea. I will definitely be using this one! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are the cutest things! How simple can they be. I think I'll be making some.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are so cute! I love them. I think we already have chosen what we're doing for party favors for my daughter's halloween party this year, but I might just have to do these too just for fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very creative and easy!
    I loved it :) :D

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...